Energy Supply & Storage
Mine scale energy storage technologies are not yet operationally or economically proven in mining. This working group aims to test mine scale remote energy storage through installation of multiple technologies across 5+ sites.
Mine-scale, long duration energy storage systems to supplement renewable power supply are not yet economically or operationally proven.
Develop and validate viable mine-scale energy storage and supply solutions to enhance the economic and environmental benefits of mine electrification.
Achievements and Milestones
- Conducted two major EOIs for long duration energy storage systems, building expert industry understanding in mine-scale energy storage.
- Solicited proposals for high-scoring, long-duration energy storage solutions from Schlumberger, Energy Dome, VSun, MGA and others.
- Raised awareness of potential for thermal storage as a low-cost option for mineral processing intensive hubs, both with Govt and business.
- Consortium member has facilitated the successful implementation of pilot BASF sodium sulphur and VSUN Vanadium flow batteries.
- Built support for pilot funding from ARENA and MRIWA for a piloting 10MWh + energy storage pilot projects.
- Planning joint member multi-asset multi-technology PFS level LDESC study to accelerate large-scale installations